Skyscrapers and broadway: The LCHS choir and theater departments team up for an unforgettable trip to NYC

After months of fundraising through selling cookie dough and soup, the LCHS choir and theater departments raised enough money to travel to NYC by bus from March 24-27. The trip consisted of various music-themed attractions as well as classic NYC tourist hotspots.

During their first night in the city, March 24, the  choir and theater departments ate at an Italian restaurant called La Nona in Little Italy. “It was really pretty,” said freshmen Collin Diem. “There’s a lot of different types of food and places to see all in one spot. We got the chance to break off into our friend groups and take a stroll, and we saw some really cool stuff.”

Left, bottom to top: Lili Robles, Mia Rodgers, Kat Blackwood, Anna Takemoto, Emma Wride, and Eve Stuck. 
    Right, bottom to top: Isaiah Acosta, EJ Faal, Sam Takemoto, Collin Diem, and Kristy Ann Cam.

On March 24, Lexi Donnelly, Lili Robles, Frey Williams and Jada Venson, along with the rest of the group, rode the Subway on their way to Chinatown. From Chinatown, the choir and theater departments went to Little Italy for dinner.

The group attended a Broadway master class on March 25 with Broadway star Brittney Mack, who was in the original cast of “Six,” a modern musical about the lives of Henry VII’s six wives that features an all-female cast. Mack played Anna Of Cleves. According to senior Anna Takemoto, Mack helped the students work on their confidence while on stage performing.

Right to left: Liili Robles, Anna Takemoto, Collin Diem, Kaya Vukmanic, Rae Creppon, Syd Williams, Amaris Paranjattu, Natalia Settipani, Kristy Ann Cam, Christina Lobbin, Halle Burciaga, and Norah Lee.

On March 25, Norah Lee and Halle Burciaga smiled big with Brittany Mack from “Six” at the Broadway masterclass. Lee loved learning the choreography to “Get Down,” as well as the question and answer session at the end. “I learned that you have to take your chance to prove yourself, to not hold back,” Lee said. (Norah Lee)

On March 25, the group visited the Carnegie Hall Museum. The exhibit is full of concert programs, photographs, autographed posters, musical manuscript, and videos. In addition to the Museum, they also visited Carnegie Hall, which was built in 1891 and used as a concert venue. “I thought Carnegie Hall was beautiful,” freshmen Lili Robles said. “It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be, and it had a lot more design elements than expected, not only the light fixtures on the ceiling, but also how many seats there were, and how easily the sound carried throughout.”

On March 26, the choir department had the opportunity to sing at the Empire State Building. Isaiah Acosta, Joseph Alayachew, Kat Blackwood, Halle Burciaga, Kristy Ann Cam, Devin Carpenter, Semira Cummings, Brandon Davy, Collin Diem, EJ Faal, Avery Jeziorski, Caitlyn Kozowyk, Norah Lee, Christina Lobbin, Grace McGuirk, Claire Nanna, Amaris Paranjittu, Thomas Payne, Emma Pearson, Will Ray, Chelsy Reyes-Santander, Mia Rodgers, Sydney Schaefer, Natalia Settipani, Zevonn Sledd, Lilah Stewart, Even Stuck, Sam Takemoto, Aaliyah Trammell, Jada Venson, Kaya Vukmanic, Grayson Weber, Syd Williams, and Emma Wride. (William Rosenfeld)