Indoor track team progresses to states

On February 26 and 27, select runners from the indoor track team traveled to Liberty University in Lynchburg to participate in the VHSL Class 4 state meet. 

Sophomore distance runner Gabe Cunnington emphasized the importance of hydration and good sleep in the days leading up to the meet.

“The weeks before states, you try to cut down on the volume of running a lot,” Cunnington said. This is done to prevent injuries before a race and to increase recovery and rest.

Other runners concentrated on specific aspects of their technique leading up to their races, putting themselves in the best position for success.

“Before states, I focused on sharpening up my skills,” senior sprinter Matt Thorne said. “I focused more on speed work and getting to the max speed.”

Senior Matt Thorne after breaking the school record in the 55-meter dash. Three weeks later, Thorne went on to break the school record in the 300-meter dash at the VHSL Class 4 indoor track state meet. (Courtney Campbell)

Thorne ran the 4×2, 55-meter dash, and 300-meter dash, breaking the school record for the 300-meter dash with a time of 36.14 seconds. He ended his indoor track season with three school records.

The 4×8 team, consisting of Cunnington, freshmen Jack Cassidy and Michael Tafe, and junior Joe Tafe, also ran a 10-second PR at this meet. Their time of 8:33.87 minutes was made possible by their training and proper running habits. “I was happy for the team,” Cunnington said. “I’m glad we were able to make some ground there.”

Several athletes also ran the 3200-meter race at the state meet. Michael placed fifth, freshman Fallon Fetterolf placed sixth, and Joe placed twelfth. Michael’s time of 9:29.62 minutes broke the school record for this race.

Fetterolf also placed seventh in the 1600-meter race, with a time of 5:19.29 minutes. Thorne, Juniors Jonah Rosen, and Cole Terhune, and senior Emilio Torres sprinted the 4×2 race.

Following states, Thorne and junior Matt Ramarge advanced to the Adidas Indoor Track Nationals. At the meet, Thorne ran the 200-meter dash and Ramarge competed in the 1600-meter race.

Although the indoor track season has ended, many runners are continuing to train for the upcoming outdoor season. 

“This group of runners are super self-motivated,” head coach Courtney Campbell said, of the athletes’ hard work. “I’m impressed with their work ethic and realization that to improve, you must train.”