Choir department takes on district choir

Loudoun County offers a district choir as a way for talented students can perform and fulfill their passions. This year, nine Captains were selected to participate in the district choir after completing a two-part audition process: with a song the student prepares and a sight reading component during which students are required to sing correct notes and tempo. Not all people who try out make it. 

There are two choirs, which are the treble choir and the mixed choir, with between 200 and 300 singers participating from around the county. The students prepare for seasonal concerts, though one of the concerts the choir was preparing for during winter break was canceled due to snow. This year, Rockridge was scheduled to host the performance, but the weather had other plans. 

The choir usually practices together the day before the show and a few times before the show weekend to perfect the voices and talent that goes into the performance. The students usually don’t receive their music to study until a month before the concert. Students must mostly learn and practice on their own. After the students perform, they earn certificates, medals, and more. 

“The environment is very accepting and enthusiastic, they are hard workers and it’s nice to be a part of something and be contributing,” freshman Justin Goodhart said. 

Goodhart didn’t start chorus until eighth grade but loved to sing when he was younger. He successfully made all districts and all states in eighth grade as well and said, “It was such a fun experience.” He continued to audition for the chamber choir and was one of two freshmen accepted. 

“I would love to continue singing in college, it’s so much fun and a good way to make friends,” Goodhart said. “Everyone there is so talented and nice, it’s a great opportunity to meet people with similar interests.

Many opportunities can be given to kids who enter the district chorus, such as a chance to try out for the regional choir and the state choir. 

Students who try out for district choir are usually in their school’s choir and prepare seasonal shows through a class where teachers like William Rosenfield can help them improve their vocals.

Junior Sadie Stevens is a student in Rosenfeld’s class and the district choir. She mostly started singing in middle school but has always enjoyed it. She was in the select choir in seventh and eighth grade, has been in the chamber choir for two years, and is currently the president of the chamber choir.

“I’m not sure if I will pursue music in the future right now, but it’s a hobby that would be very fun, for a job or just for fun,” Stevens said.