Competitive cheerleading makes history for the third time in one season

The competitive cheer team made history three times in one season.

On November 4, the cheer team captured the 2023 Class 4 VHSL State Cheerleading Championship title. This team has made history three times in one season with winning Districts, Region runner up and now State Champions.
Left to Right: Skylar Arnold, Emily Pyle, Marty Martin, Jocelyn Hall, Sabrina Simpkins, Valerie Lindquist, Coach Sam, Lilly Johnson, Caroline Ahearn, Sammy Debolt, Linsey Cunningham, Alana Woehr, Caroline Sesin, Ava Dekenip, Tristen Stansbury, Haley Rosberg, Aria Williams, Claire Pho, Abby Lippincot, Taylor Norton, Ella Griffin, Coach Jeremy, Coach Katie
Photo Courtesy of @lchscaptainscheer on Instagram.

On Thursday October 19, the cheer team made history and won the district title. This is the first time the competitive cheer team has ever won districts in the history of our school. The team dominated districts with their flips and tricks, then proceeded to compete at regionals on October 25 at Tuscarora High School. Because the team won the district title, they performed last at 7:20 pm.

Leading this team to victory are the captains of the team, senior Skylar Arnold, senior Ava Dekenip, junior Emily Pyle and senior Tristen Sansbury.

Competitive cheerleading can sometimes be overlooked when it comes to sports, but the team has worked hard to get far in the competition and it’s not because of their perfect ponytails and new uniforms.

Recently, not only parents of cheerleaders on the team but many students that compete in sports like football and volleyball are showing up to support the girls at their competitions.

This year, competitive cheer competed in the 2023 Catoctin District Competition, which included Woodgrove, John Champe, Park View and Broad Run. The team remained victorious with a score of 245 on October 19, 2023.

“Districts was a day full of nerves but also a lot of excitement,” sophomore Haley Rosberg said. “The team is like a family and I’m so happy to be here with them,” MVP Rosberg said.

On October 20, the team raised the district champions flag in front of the school to celebrate their victory. Going into this season, the team had to prepare themselves even before the school year began and give off some of their summer to work hard at winning competitions like districts.

Districts was only the start for the team because at the Catoctin Regionals on October 25 the cheerleaders earned the title of 2023 Region 4C Runner Up with a 245 which means they proceeded to states on November 4.

The team’s family and supporters are always there to cheer on the team because not only the cheerleaders performance counts but the crowd cheering for them takes part in being loud and supporting. After the team competes, they often change into tank tops that say “guttsc” which means “Get us to the Siegel Center.” Last year they made a trip to VCU/Siegel Center but didn’t place as high as they hoped when they placed fifth. This year things are different.

The night before states, they spent a night at a hotel near the center to get them ready to perform, even skipping County’s senior night to prepare for competition. Coaches Samantha Mancini and Molly Allen have shown support through the last few practices, with captains and coaches making practice fun with dressing up as things like favorite holiday, old uniforms, and dress like your type. The team also received small gifts like bracelets and cups to get spirits high for states and the end of the reason.

“I’m so proud to be a captain of this team. We have come a long way,” Arnold said. “I was so happy we won states for my senior year and I’m so sad to be leaving this following year.”

The state cheer competition has two rounds and where eight teams competed and the best four teams, including County, moved on to the second round, where they competed for the state title a second and last time. This competition on November 4 was very long because not only is the school’s team competing but other teams in their 4c group and other teams in the 1c, 2c, 3c, 5c and 6c categories.・