The County Chronicle

The online newspaper for Loudoun County High School

The County Chronicle

The County Chronicle

Staff Highlight of the Issue

Kimberly Berkey recognized as an LCPS Spotlighting Hero in Ed

School testing coordinator Kimberly Berkey arrives at school at 6:45 a.m., preparing for a long day of AP testing. Tests like the SOLs and AP exams take place during the month of May, a time in which Berkey’s position is most needed, and a time in which her days are jam-packed with tasks.

Berkey has been working at our school since January 2023 and for Loudoun County Public Schools for 29 years, a decade of which she worked as principal at Creighton’s Corner Elementary School and assistant principal at Leesburg Elementary School.

Berkey was recognized as an LCPS Spotlighting Hero in Ed (SHINE) after being nominated for the award by a colleague. 

“The job of a high school student testing coordinator is often challenging and one of the ‘thankless’ jobs we have,” Berkey said. “To have someone recognize my hard work is greatly appreciated.”

On a typical AP testing day, Berkey spends around 12 to 14 hours at school. As school testing coordinator, it is Berkey’s job to study data and use that to better the experiences of students as they gain their education.

“I work closely with our counseling team and teachers to make sure students have opportunities to earn all the verified credits needed for graduation,” Berkey said.

Berkey is also responsible for organizing PSAT, SOL tests, WIDA, WorkKeys, and AP exams. 

“[Berkey] approaches this very complex and important responsibility with care, thoughtfulness, and a passion for supporting all students,” said Michelle Luttrell, school principal. “She is a true unsung hero, tirelessly working behind the scenes to ensure the smooth execution of every assessment for every student.”

From working with elementary school kids to high school students, Berkey has dealt with a wide range of situations, which has given her unique perspectives on working with students, staff, and families.

“I wouldn’t trade any of the experiences I’ve had during my career,” Berkey said. “I love working with students and building a rapport with them.”

Calling herself a “lifelong learner,” Berkey says that she is always evolving and trying new things to get better results. 

As she continues preparing for AP exams and other testing later this month, Berkey gives advice on balancing a busy schedule and adapting to the needs of a job: “Be open to new things, be flexible in the way you handle challenges, and always remember to enjoy the journey. Even on our worst day, there’s something to be excited about.”

“To have someone recognize my hard work is greatly appreciated,” school testing coordinator Kimberly Berkey said. Berkey was recognized as an LCPS Spotlighting Hero in Ed. (X (@LCHS1954))