Search for the Best After Graduation Restaurant

As the school year comes to a close and seniors start to stress about AP exams, Outreach, and other various events, picking where to eat after graduation should be the least of their issues. These local businesses showcase finer dining, while also bringing mouth-watering foods and good vibes right to your table.

Firebirds (Village at Leesburg)- 9/10

Firebirds, located in the Village at Leesburg, features a large bar, delicious food, and a welcoming staff. For those looking for a place that accommodates large groups of people, Firebirds handles it well.

To start off my meal, I was recommended to get the favored Bruschetta and meatballs. My first appetizer, the meatballs, consisted of five delicious, but large, meatballs in total with three pieces of bread on the side. For the bruschetta, the burrata on it was loose and tasty, but there was an oil and vinegar mixture that didn’t go well with the dish at all. However, these appetizers were very filling and would be great for a large party.

To drink, I ordered a “Raspberry No-jito” mocktail, which was a mixture of fresh raspberry lemonade, mint, and lime. This drink was sweet, but almost tart. Still, the drink was beautifully concocted. This drink alone was $5.95, which was very reasonable.

For my main dish, I ordered a blue cheese filet, which was one of the many steak options on the menu. The blue cheese dressing perfectly complemented the filet, which was cooked perfectly to my liking. The total price of the filet was $40.75, which was reasonable for the size and amount of steak and side of choice I had received.

The total price of this meal was $60.20 which was slightly pricey, as some dishes were of low quality. Aside from the awkward vinegar and olive oil taste with the bruschetta, the taste of the filet and mocktail were outstanding. For this, I give this restaurant a 9/10.

The “Blue Cheese Filet,” is a dish at Firebirds which features a filet cooked to order, topped with blue cheese dressing and a side of your choice. Firebirds is one of the many local, pricey, spots to dine after the graduation ceremony. (Taylor Helfer)

Travinia (Village at Leesburg)-9.5/10

Traviniaalso located in the Village at Leesburg, features “contemporary American-Italian cuisine and many specialty wines in their large bar. Their main goal is to create an atmosphere of comfort, and style, and offer an extensive menu.

For my first thing to eat, I got the free, unlimited bread. This bread was fluffy and delicious with lots of olive oil and herbs to garnish. I really liked the fluffiness and taste of the rolls, but they were a little too oily for my liking.

I ordered the “Fettuccine Travinia” which consisted of fettuccine pasta, alfredo sauce, and grilled chicken. The food came out quite quickly which was great, and the food was steamy and warm. The pasta was creamy and very saucy, which is what I liked and the chicken was nicely seasoned and very tender. This dish cost $18 which seemed fair for the quality and quantity of food.

After this, I decided to order a simple plate of tiramisu. It came out soggy, drooping, and downright unappetizing. The entire bottom of the plate was covered in a brown sauce which was supposed to add flavor but instead made the tiramisu wet, look sloppy, and taste bad. If it were me, sticking to other desserts such as the “Chocolate Decadence Cake” or the “Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake ” may be ideal. This dish was $10, the most expensive on the dessert menu, which seemed poor for the quality of food.

Although the food came out quickly, the service was otherwise slow as it took several minutes to get more utensils or get a refill. 

Overall, Travinia was a nice, somewhat fancy place to visit. The food was delicious aside from dessert and had very nice live music to entertain guests. Travinia prices their dishes nicely and it was on the cheaper side overall at $43 for two people. With the taste of the pasta and rolls, this place is extremely favorable although the rolls were too oily and the dessert was poor. For this, I give Travinia a 9.5/10.

Sweetwater Tavern (Sterling)- 6/10

SweetWater Tavern is one of the twelve restaurants in the “Great American Restaurants” food chain. This restaurant is set with a bar, delicious steaks, which they are known for, and a subtle southwestern vibe. They accommodate big groups well and have large seating options including a patio.

For my first thing to eat, I got the “Tex Mex Egg Rolls,” which were 11 dollars for four. For someone who has a low spice tolerance, these were pretty spicy. However, the avocado sauce, which was not to my liking due to its odd runny texture and flavor, cooled down the dish significantly. These were really delicious with the nice crunch of the eggrolls and the mushiness of the beans and tomatoes. For anyone who likes spicy foods, these are definitely for you.

Alongside the eggrolls, I also got their famous bread rolls. These bread rolls are known for being donut texture and are perfectly fluffy. In agreement with this popular belief, these were perfectly fluffy, warm, and delicious. Although I did not have the honey butter, those who dined with me said that it was fluffy and sweet which was perfect for the doughnut-y rolls.

To drink, I had a lemonade which was very sour and bitter. Although I thought it was nice to drink, I would’ve been better off with water or another drink of my choice. Aside from the sour lemonade, my glass was dirty, which also made this experience unfavorable.

For my main dish, I ordered the “Penne Primavera” which came with broccolini, mushrooms, asparagus, tomato and basil, parmesan, and of course penne pasta. For an additional $4, you can add chicken or shrimp. This dish sounded delicious, but when I took my first bite, the blend of vegetables, dressing, and unproportionally cooked pasta was unfavorable. For this dish overall, it was $22 which seemed inadequate given the amount of food as well as the quality.

The “Penne Primavera” which features penne pasta, asparagus, mushrooms and other vegetables is one of the many favored dishes at Sweetwater Tavern. Sweetwater Tavern is one of the many expensive, but worth it, places to dine after graduation. (Taylor Helfer)

Overall, Sweetwater Tavern would not be my first pick after the graduation ceremony. The costly appetizers, the unevenly heated pasta, the dirty dishes, and the sour lemonade, made my experience unfavorable. However, the famous rolls, as well as the environment of the restaurant were very pleasing. The total cost of my dinner was $108.90 for three people, which is around $36.3 for each person. For this, I give Sweetwater Tavern a 6/10.