Commitment: outstanding athletes take their game to the next level

Jake Joseph | Raider Staff

Every year at Loudoun County High School, we have a new crop of star athletes who decide to take their talents to the next level. These athletes have excelled at their sport, and are being recognized for working hard to earn a chance to play their sport at the collegiate level.

Junior Vaughn is a three-year member of the Varsity Volleyball Team. Vaughn has been playing volleyball for as long as she can remember, and when she is not in season playing for County, she is playing for her travel team. “I am super happy to have the opportunity to travel the country and play the sport I love,” Vaughn said.

Chandler Vaughn, University of Central Arkansas, Volleyball

Junior Prendergast is a three-year member of the Varsity Volleyball Team. Prendergast has been competing in high-level volleyball tournaments for years, and was ecstatic when she finally committed. Hannah had always dreamed of going to UVA to play volleyball. “I’m so excited to go to UVA because it’s a great school and has a great volleyball program,” Prendergast said.

Hannah Prendergast, University Of Virginia, Volleyball

Junior Kirstein has been on the Varsity Soccer Team for all three years of her high-school career. Brooke has been playing travel soccer since she was six, and has always loved the game. When she’s not hanging with friends or doing schoolwork, she’s playing soccer. Brooke has soccer practice six days a week every week during the summer, fall, winter, and spring. “I chose Duquesne because of the campus feel and it has a great soccer program,” Kirstein said.

Brooke Kirstein, Duquesne University, Soccer

Senior Burke has started for the Varsity Baseball Team since his sophomore year. Going into his senior year, he is looking to have the best season of his career. Burke will be the first Raider to play Division I baseball since 2015 graduate Sam Rexrode, who played one season at the Air Force Academy. Burke’s older brother also plays baseball at the collegiate level, pitching for Roanoke College. “JMU has a great baseball program and amazing academics. I can’t wait to go there,” Burke said.