The County Chronicle

The online newspaper for Loudoun County High School

The County Chronicle

The County Chronicle

Fallon Fetterolf excels on the track

Freshman follows in her sibling’s footsteps

With an aching shoulder and several cramps all over her body, then-sixth grader Fallon Fetterolf reluctantly jogged with her track-crazed siblings in hopes that she would never do it again. Little did she know, three short years later, as a freshman, she would win the 3200 and 1600 at districts for indoor track and love it.

Fetterolf has had several accomplishments this season in addition to her 3200 and 1600 wins, such as the regional win for 3200 for indoor track. During the cross-country season, Fetterolf won districts and placed 10th in states. She has even set a new school record in the 3200 with a time of 11:30.11 during the indoor track season.

Fetterolf’s siblings Heath, Cece, Ricky, and Scarlet all ran track at Loudoun Valley High School To Fetterolf, they are her biggest form of inspiration and mentorship, and she chose the same specialty as them: the 3200.

Having them to look up to has always been an inspiration, and anything I have set out to do, they have already done,” Fetterolf said. 

Since her unenjoyable start, Fetterolf has learned to love her sport.

I learned to enjoy it by focusing on the small rewards; talking with my teammates and having the satisfaction of hard work,” Fetterolf said.

Over the years, Fetterolf has had many hard days and losses. What matters most to her is how well she deals with it.

“Don’t always focus on winning because you’re not always going to win,” Fetterolf said. “Just try your best and focus on your smaller goals.”

On the track team, Fetterolf’s coach Courtney Campbell is her biggest cheerleader.

“He wants to make sure that we have the best for us and that we aren’t working too hard or getting injured easily,” Fetterolf said. “The best part [about being on the team] is my coach.”

Outside of track, Fetterolf balances a heavy workload while being in the NJROTC and taking several rigorous classes.

“It’s so hard if we have an ROTC event,” Fetterolf said. She later explained that academics will always take priority over the track but how track has forced her to learn to manage her time well.

As Fetterolf and other track athletes begin the spring season, excitement for the season is predominant. “I hope for improvement, great race opportunities, and lots of fun meets,” Fetterolf said.

(From Left to Right) Cat Pizzarello, Fallon Fetterolf, and Michael Tafe stand together after qualifying for the state championships. The three distance runners are all participating in cross country, indoor and outdoor track & field.