Environmental club raises awareness and more for Earth day

Earth Day is one day of the year when people make sure to help the Earth, but there are so many things people can do in their daily lives to make Earth Day every day.

¨People can make a lot of small changes that add up to have a big impact,” senior Elena Wigglesworth said. “Buying fewer products is one, especially clothes as making them can require large amounts of water. Shopping at thrift stores is a great way to dress sustainably and reduces the impact that making more clothes can have. Another great way to easily live sustainably is to compost. This turns food waste (a major issue in the US) into something beneficial. We have a composter in my backyard and use the compost every year to add nutrients to our vegetable garden.” Wigglesworth lists a few things that students can do in their daily lives to help the Earth.

¨Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Consider if you really need it before you buy it. Don’t be wasteful,” Wigglesworth said.

Instead of giving gifts, Wigglesworth suggests giving experiences instead because the gift won’t go to waste. Wigglesworth is passionate about care for the Earth, so she joined the environmental club at LCHS.

¨I’ve always found caring for the earth to be a worthwhile cause, but now that I’m interested in pursuing a career in agriculture, protecting the earth has become even more important to me. If we don’t maintain the health of our planet we will suffer drastic consequences,¨ Wigglesworth said.

Earth Day is a big event for the environmental club and the club did many things to help the Earth.

Some members of the LCHS environmental club which included sophomore Hazel Akinmurele, senior Liberty Harrison, junior Daniella Etisi do a trunk or treat event on October 27.

Wigglesworth says she led the environmental club’s Earth Day initiatives this year, conducting interviews with students and editing them into a video about challenges to the environment. Wigglesworth also runs the club’s Instagram, where she encourages people to post about the environment.

The environmental club spread awareness on social media on Earth Day by asking students what Earth Day means to them.

Wigglesworth found a local tree planting hosted by Goose Creek Association and Keep Loudoun Beautiful and organized club volunteers to participate on April 15. “The tree planting was a fun event and a great hands-on opportunity for students that want to have a positive impact on the environment,¨ Wigglesworth said

You don’t have to be in the environmental club to go out and volunteer to help plant trees or anything to help the Earth.