The County Chronicle

The online newspaper for Loudoun County High School

The County Chronicle

The County Chronicle

Life after high school: Alumni reminisce on high school experiences and offer advice to current students

As the campus begins to wake up in the morning, Michaela Scott, former County Chronicle editor, and Loudoun County High School alumni, also wakes for her early 9:30 class with an exciting, but busy, day ahead of her.

As a major in multimedia journalism and a minor in business, Scott’s first year at college has been exhilarating, all due to the passion she explored in high school.

“I was going to be a computer science or mathematics major,” Scott said. She later explains with the help of her newspaper teacher, Valerie Egger, she was able to pave the way for something she had an interest in.

Unlike some students, Scott finds that she has more time for extracurricular activities such as Greek life events or meetings for the Virginia Tech newspaper, and the Collegiate Times. She learned how to manage her time in high school and now she is glad she has that skill.

“I was honestly shocked when I came to college because my workload was challenging but manageable,” Scott said. She later adds, “You have to have the time management skills and the responsibility to do all of your work. But, it depends one hundred percent on your major and how hard you work.”

Scott explains that the skills and experiences she developed and learned from high school in activities such as the SCA translated over to her college experience.

“The Student Council Association gave me a lot of leadership experience and really great communication skills,” Scott said. She also explains that cornerstone basic friendship-making skills and public speaking experiences enhanced her college experience.

Much of Scott’s high school experience was impacted due to the pandemic. However, she’s happy that she gets to enjoy her college experience to the fullest post-pandemic.

“I don’t think I would have as much fun in college as I would if it would be a pandemic. In high school, I didn’t feel like classes were taken as seriously,” Scott said. 

In 2020, LCPS put specific parameters in place to cater to student’s needs during tough times. 

“The teachers were extremely lenient. I remember I was all online my junior year and I was in AB Calculus. I remember we were taking tests with our notes and it made me think that I could really do math” Scott said. She later adds that because her junior year seemed laid-back, her senior year was harder due to all the lost information. She also began to think that math was her passion, which she soon found out was not.

Scott’s biggest key to managing her chaotic college days is to have a plan and write things down on her agenda. 

“I like having a physical copy of everything I need and like being able to write down things that are happening,” Scott said. She adds that although agendas aren’t for everyone, they help her manage and remember the easily forgetful events.

After experiencing some of high school during the pandemic, Scott explains that including yourself in activities is the best way to make a better college experience.

“I know at Virginia Tech there is such a huge community and I know we have events, but maybe putting on more events that bring the community and student body together. That really brings all your peers together,” Scott said.

Virginia tech freshman, Michaela Scott and sophomore, Mohamed Awad pose together at a football game. Scott is a Loudoun County High school alumni and current college student.

To miss busy morning traffic in Tysons Corner, County graduate Gracie Hawkins must wake up at 6:30 on work mornings. Once she gets into the busy city, the day gets even more hectic.

Hawkins is a practicing cosmetology student who is nearly done with her education after almost a year. So far, it has been anything but easy.

“I feel like cosmetology school is not for the weak. It’s a lot, Tuesday through Saturday, eleven months non-stop working and a full-time job without pay,” Hawkins says. However, she later added, “But, in the long run, it is helping you pass a state board and I do feel like I’ve learned a lot.”

In high school, Hawkins was in theater, which allowed her to gain public speaking skills. Theater also taught her that she should do what she wants without others’ opinions.

“I do what I want to do and don’t worry about the connotations people have with certain careers,” Hawkins said.

Like Scott, Hawkins was also hit hard by the pandemic in her sophomore year and both feel like their junior years were lost.

“Things all of a sudden stopped. It was so nice to have a break, but I feel like I learned nothing my junior year,” Hawkins said.

Although Hawkins didn’t choose the college route, she agrees with Scott that having basic friendship-making skills and putting yourself out there is the best way to enjoy life after high school. Hawkins also adds that having a positive mindset is the best way to succeed.

“I have been able to meet some of my best friends in cosmetology school. It’s amazing because some of them are much older than me so I feel like I have made such a wide variety of friends,” Hawkins said.

Unlike Scott, Hawkins’ biggest stress relievers are her coworkers and close friends. For her, her outgoing personality and basic friendship-making skills came into play.

“In the cosmetology business, the best thing you can do is rely on your coworkers,” Hawkins said.

As the school year comes to a close and seniors head off on their journeys, learning from others, as well as yourself, is crucial. Whether it be knowing how to make friends or learning to be outgoing, making sure that you have the most positive energy is what makes every day a good one. As Hawkins said, “Not everyone at school has the best energy, so sometimes you just have to keep your space and carry on.”

Gracie Hawkins carefully cuts a male mannequin’s beard to perfect her technique at Paul Mitchell Cosmetology School in Tysons Corner. Hawkins is a Loudoun County alumni and current cosmetology student.