Students raise over $2500 through SCA’s Mini-Thon

SCA organizes a mini-thon to raise money for cancer research.

According to the American Childhood Cancer Organization, in the United States, more than 16,000 kids are diagnosed with cancer every year. That is one child being diagnosed every 33 minutes. 

The SCA’s Mini-Thon is working to raise awareness and money for pediatric cancer families as well as research to better prevent, diagnose, treat, and most of all, cure childhood cancer. 

Mini-Thon was created last year by senior Kristy Cam. Cam grew up participating in these events throughout grade school, and her aunt owns a cancer non-profit organization. 

All money raised goes toward the Four Diamonds Foundation, whose mission is to conquer pediatric cancer by helping kids and families with care, and extensive and innovative research. “Mini-Thon is a great way to bring people together to work for a common cause while also allowing students to be a part of something bigger than just themselves,” Cam said. 

Some fundraisers that Mini-Thon has hosted include sponsored restaurant fundraisers and the Rowdy Ruff, which was purely a funding event. 

Mini-Thon has and will continue to have many fundraiser opportunities finishing the school year, including their next main event which will be on June 2. Cam says, “Expect bouncy houses, carnival games, and many other fun activities. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to donate!”  

At the end of the event, the total amount of money raised will be displayed for everyone to celebrate. To keep an eye out for additional meetings and events, follow SCA’s Mini-Thon Instagram page: @lchsminithon

Students came out to Rowdyruff, one of SCA’s Mini-Thon events. Students played against each other by grade in a game of volleyball. Many came out to support the Mini-Thon.