Athlete of the Issue: Captain Lindsey Johansen leads field hockey team to success

As Taylor Swift’s reputation album plays through senior Lindsey Johansen’s headphones, her excitement for that night’s field hockey game grows, as does her passion for the sport.

Johansen, referred to as “Linds” on her team, is a captain on the field hockey team, assisting her team in a successful season. Before playing the fall season at County, she started her career playing for the Hammers Field Hockey club. Through outside experience, she learned the perfect position for her.

“I currently play defense, but I started out as a midfielder, ” Johansen said. “Slowly coaches were like, oh, you’d be better at defense. Then, I slowly started to like that position more.” 

Although she eventually found her passion for field hockey on her own over the years, Johansen’s mom was one of her biggest motivators.

“My mom played field hockey when she was in high school for the Connecticut State team,” Johansen said. “She was like, I think you’d really enjoy it. So, I played and made friends and it was awesome.”

Emma Janusko (left), Lindsey Johansen (middle) and Jane Garvey (right), engage in field hockey gameplay against Woodgrove. Johansen is a captain on the field hockey team, leading her team to a successful season. (@lchsfieldhockey) 

Coaches have always been a big part of Johansen’s career, from being a role model to simply giving helpful advice on the field.

“One of our coaches says you have to be like a goldfish and forget,” Johansen said. “You might have gotten a goal scored on you, but if you forget then you can keep playing the game.” 

With these helpful remarks from coaches, Johansen serves as one of the captains of her team helping younger athletes on her team, giving them motivation and advice alike.

“The best advice I would definitely give [to younger athletes] is to have the desire to get better, ” Johansen said. “Not to just expect playing time or anything, but if you work to get better, then you will be a better player.”

Being a part of the County field hockey team is filled with fun dinner parties, a great dynamic, and many fun new friendships.

“I think we’re one of the best team dynamics at school,” Johansen said. “We have dinner together every Sunday, or an activity and honestly everyone is friends with everyone.” She later added to the compassion shared on the team, saying, “Everyone definitely loves each other.”

Through a strong team dynamic and her outside experience, Johansen has been helpful in leading the team to a successful season so far. As of October 13, the team has a record of 10-3. Even through tough losses, Johansen is sure to keep a positive attitude.

Lindsey Johansen poses for fall field hockey pictures. Johansen is a senior captain on the field hockey team and is committed to play Division III field hockey at St. Lawrence University. (@lchsfieldhockey)

“No matter what has happened, everything ends and you just have to get over it,” Johansen said.

By being a strong force on her County and Hammer’s field hockey teams, Johansen has been able to capture the attention of colleges.

“The recruiting process was definitely tough,” Johansen said. “But, my coaches through my club helped me a lot and we went to a lot of recruiting tournaments all over the east coast.” 

Johansen eventually committed to playing Division III field hockey at St. Lawrence University.

“I went up to St. Lawrence and I went to a few others, but St. Lawrence was definitely my favorite,” Johansen said. “So when I got my offer I was really excited. Then I went up a few weeks ago to have an official visit and just loved it.”

Through support from numerous coaches, teammates, and relatives – as well as Taylor Swift, Johansen’s favorite hype music artist – she has been able to be a successful teammate and leader. Field hockey has given Johansen an opportunity to develop both her technical and personal skills and growth. Johansen mentions, “It’s a learning experience.”