Loudoun County’s Golf Team wins its 4th Year District Championship!

Loudoun Countys Golf Team claimed the title of District Champions on September 26th 2023 preceding yet again to regionals then states. This is the teams 4th year in a row earning the district title. Left to right- Chase Oatman, Liam Howard, Jackson Quinn, Reed Thesis, Ayla Browning and Peter Duiven
@LCCaptiansGolf
Loudoun County’s Golf Team claimed the title of District Champions on September 26th 2023 preceding yet again to regionals then states. This is the teams 4th year in a row earning the district title. Left to right- Chase Oatman, Liam Howard, Jackson Quinn, Reed Thesis, Ayla Browning and Peter Duiven

Loudoun County’s golf team coached by Mark Alexander, performed extremely well yet again at districts, coming out on top as new district champions! The LCHS golf team won the 2023 Catoctin Districts Tournament on September 26th 2023 with top 6 finishers Liam Howard (2nd) and Ayla Browning (5th). 

On September 27th, the golf team raised the district champions flag in honor of their district tournament win the day before. 

Golf can be a very hard but thrilling sport, but competing in the district tournament was a total of only 6 students. Last year the school’s golf team did extraordinary and went to states, and this year the golf team will also be heading to states after the regional tournament where they placed 2nd and qualified for states. 

Out of 33 schools and 18 holes, the Loudoun County team won and continued to get stronger but some might wonder how they always seem victorious? Well this team supports each other no matter what or who they are playing. 

Sophomore Graysen Armstrong says 

“It’s nice to be on a team because it’s like a second family” 

This shows that even though It takes time to make yourself better, having support can help you improve even in the littlest ways. The school can tell of the improvement from this team based on the results of tournaments such as the regional tournament 

The regional tournament made it able for the team to secure a spot at states for the 4th year in a row where they will be going against Woodgrove, the team who won regionals and other teams that will sow proper competition. 

Liam Howard and Reed Theiss earned medals for their performance at regionals, they are both seniors at Loudoun County and have been on the team all 4 years during their high school experience. You can tell this team has put hard work and dedication into their playing and our school will be wishing them luck on the 11th which is the day they compete for the state title. 

One of the members on the golf team Reed Thesis is going to continue his academic and athletic career at Lafayette College, and is now committed once he graduates this 2024. Not only Reed, but seniors Liam Howard, Ayla Browning, Chase Oatman and Peter Duiven are leaving the team which is going to be a great loss for the golf team, but they are looking for many new recruits to carry on the Captain’s legacy. 

The VHSL State Tournament was Tuesday October 10th and the captains golf team finished 3rd in the VA class 4 State Championship with a 292! Not only did the golf team finish 3rd as a team

but Senior Ayla Browning with 3 late birdies turned in a team lead of 69 (-3). Ayla also earned All-State honors for getting in the top 6 finishers. 

Coach Alexander claims “It has been very fun watching her grow as a competitor over the years!” 

Ayla isn’t the only one on the captains golf team to earn All-State honors because Reed Theiss shot a 71(-1) and finished in the top ten. 

The team has worked hard to improve from their past years and they dominated these tournaments showing that perseverance is key to success. 

Hopefully this following year the captains will be able to carry on their triumph and the impact that this team has left while continuing the reigning wins.