Commitment signing honors student athletes

Cat Pizzarello, Managing Editor

On May 10, athletic director Kathleen Cassidy introduced each student and their various commitments for sports, along with a couple of their accomplishments throughout their time at LCHS. Photo courtesy of John Klimavicz. (John Klimavicz)

Nick Alexander will be playing golf in the Fall at Division III school Christopher Newport University. Alexander played both golf and basketball and helped the golf team to three Region titles. Alexander was named All-State and individual champion at the Dulles District Championship last fall.  

Corey Costello will be attending Division I school East Carolina University as a pitcher next year and will major in cybersecurity. Costello played one year of basketball and four of baseball at County. “In 31 innings pitched this year, Corey has struck out 60, giving up only 12 hits, with a 1.12 ERA.  At the plate, Corey leads the team in batting average .490, hits 25, second in runs scored 17, and has only struck out twice in 60 at bats,” athletic director Kathleen Cassidy said.

Olivia DeWan will be attending Division III school Bridgewater College and will major in communications and media studies. DeWan played field hockey and ran indoor and outdoor track. “She was a captain of the field hockey team as a junior and senior,” Cassidy said. DeWan helped her team to Second Team All-district as a junior and First Team All District and First Team all Region as a senior. 

Valerie Encinas will be swimming at Division III school Penn State-Behrend and will major in Biology. “Valerie swam for the Captains for four years and served as team captain,” Cassidy said. Encinas excelled in the 200 and 500 yard free and earned All-District honors in both events. 

Jackson Snyder will be attending Division I school James Madison to play football. Snyder was a part of the football and wrestling teams for all four years and played one year of lacrosse. “This year in football he earned First Team All-District, All-Region, and All State Honors. In addition, he was named the District and Region Defensive Player of the Year,” Cassidy said. 

Brady Solomon will be playing baseball at Division III school Stevens Institute of Technology and will be majoring in business and technology. Solomon played both baseball and basketball. “Our number two pitcher all year.  Brady has a 3-1 record. In 19 innings this year, has struck out 27, with a 2.57 ERA,” Cassidy said.

Evan Stanley will play football at Division 1 school Furman University and will study business marketing. Stanley was a varsity football captain two years and earned second team All-District honors. “In addition, he was awarded the Ownership and Work Ethic Award by the football staff,” Cassidy said.

Matt Starchville will be attending Division III school Neumann University and will play on the baseball team and major in pre-physical therapy. “Matt is currently hitting .349 (3rd on the team), third on the team in hits with 15, [and] leads the team in rbi’s with 19,” Cassidy said.

Sofie Steel will be attending Division III school York College as a member of their lacrosse team and will study criminal psychology. “She has been named team captain and MVP twice,” Cassidy said. Steel earned All-District and All-Region honors and over 100 career goals. 

Luke Roberts will be wrestling at Division I school University of Virginia and will major in kinesiology. “As a team captain for the wrestling team he helped lead the Captains to three straight district and region titles,” Cassidy said. Individually, Roberts has been honored with four district championships, three region championships, three all-state honors, and back-to-back state championship titles. 

Thomas Tyler will be playing  Division III school Stevenson University and will study business. “While he earned All First team All-District, All-Region and Second Team All-State honors in football and All-District honors in Indoor Track, he will pursue lacrosse in college where he earned Second Team All-Region honors as a junior,” Cassidy said. 

JP Vanderloo will be swimming at Division III school Washington University and majoring in economics. “JP ran cross country and outdoor track, but is best known for his swim accomplishments as a Captain,” Cassidy said. Vanderloo led as a swim team captain and as a senior won four individual district titles, one region title, three region runner-up honors, and all-state honors in the three events. Vanderloo also broke the school record in the 400 yard free relay. 

Randy White will be running at Division III school University of Lynchburg and will be majoring in History. White has run cross country, indoor and outdoor track for all four years of high school. “He earned All-District and All-Region honors in Cross Country and All-District, All-Region, and All-State honors in Indoor Track in the 1600m run,” Cassidy said.