First Snow-Day a Snowless One

Most Counties in Northern Virginia canceled school for December 15, 2022, and some only had a two-hour delay.

William

Early in the morning of Thursday, December 15, Loudoun County Public Schools announced its first snow day. This was a change from the night before, when LCPS said there would be a two-hour delay.

Temperatures in Leesburg stayed between 40 and 33 degrees, which meant no snow, and while some areas to the west were icy, it rained most of the day in Leesburg. The snow-day occurred two days before winter break.

Most students were happy for a day off . “I loved it,” sophomore Blake Brobst said. “…It was all rain. No ice, just rain. I’m very glad I got the day off.”

Freshman John Ayube agreed. “It was fun. I woke up at twelve. I didn’t even look outside. Today was hard to focus, but I didn’t have much work in my classes.”

Even teachers, like science teacher Terri Moulds, were glad for the break. “It was good because I was sick and I needed a break,” Moulds said. “The news kept saying there was snow, but I didn’t see snow, it was just all rain.”

Others agreed that perhaps the weather did not justify the day off. “I mean, I’m glad it was a snow-day, but I don’t think it should have (been),” freshman Harper Keuz said. “I’m happy it was but I don’t think it should have been. It was literally rain.”

Similarly freshman David Allen said “I liked it, but they didn’t snow at all, so I don’t know why we got it off, but I still liked it.”

Loudoun County is a large county, and the National Weather Service divides it into east and west sections, so because of this LCPS might have to make a cancellation for weather that would only affect part of the county.