New E-hallpass system implemented cuts down on students ditching class

This screenshot shows what the e-hallpass looks like on a Chromebook while on the way to the technology office for repairs. Photo by Lorenzo Salas.

Gone are the days of dragging a dirty, germ-infested pass from the classroom hook to the restroom and back. These days, a more sophisticated system tracks student movement outside of class. 

E-hallpass is a new system of hall passes that are recorded and kept online. E-hallpass, which began implementation in 2017-2018 in some county schools, is an online tool that has recently been implemented at Loudoun County High School. 

“It helps us keep track of students who are missing a lot of instructional time, it helps if a student needs to go to counseling or go to see the nurse, and it helps the teacher know that that student actually arrived,” assistant principal Kristyn Inman said. “It helps with organization and reduces congestion in the hallways.” 

Before working as an assistant principal at Loudoun County, Inman worked as an English teacher at Loudoun Valley, one of the first to pilot the e-hallpass system. 

“In the beginning it was a hard change for both students and teachers. However, over time the teachers did appreciate it,” said Inman. “Teachers said it reduces interruption to instruction.” She explained that the system allows students to leave the class easier and how organization was efficient. She also described how the e-hallpass was private and others didn’t know if you needed to go.

Lately there has been an increased problem with behavioral issues like the bathroom being vandalized or the microwave being set on fire. “We do have some students who are struggling with behavior or struggling with just following school rules, respecting property,” Inman said. “I think it has something to do with trying to remember what it’s like to be in this environment.” Inman expressed frustration with such behavior. “It’s hard not to be frustrated, because to me, that’s annoying. There’s no reason to destroy property,” Inman said. “But we will address it as it comes in, we’ll try to figure out what’s causing them to behave the way that they are. And luckily, that has stopped.”